Dogs and Cats Go Green
We just saved a beautiful puppy, Banjo, from the dog pound and I wanted to see how we could raise our little Banjo green! Here’s what I found.
Help your dogs and cats to go green, and you will benefit them as well as the environment. Holistic dog and cat foods are made from natural, mostly organic ingredients. They have great nutritional value for your pet , making this a win/win proposition.
Just as humans suffer from allergies and the various side effects from the chemical additives in fast and prepackaged foods, so can your pets. The holistic, organic foods contain healthful, natural herbs. Your dog or cat will have far fewer skin problems, allergies, and digestive disorders. They will have better immunity, live longer, maintain their proper weight levels, and have more energy than ever before.
While you’re thinking “green,” how about supporting your local animal shelter? There are several different ways that you can help:
- Volunteer one or two days a week. This is particularly important when there has been a natural disaster, and pets have lost their homes and families. Or perhaps someone’s home has burned down.
- Donate money, old electronics…an old car. Donations made by computer save on both postage and paper.
- Adopt a pet if you are looking for one. Shelters are overloaded with puppies and kittens who want a home. Give them a healthy, green environment to live in.
- If a permanent responsibility is not what you’re willing to commit to, foster a pet just until he finds the right home, or until his family returns to pick him up.
- Solicit others, via email, to help at the shelter nearest them.
Another thing to do is use biodegradable bags when picking up after your dog! I found an online store that sells them as well as many other eco-friendly products for your pets. Check them out! http://www.ecoanimal.com/poopbags.html
Orignially adapted from ecofriendlynow/wordpress.com